I My position







My colleagues in USS would remember this picture very well. I discussed this during my presentation on the systems thinking at the Bhopal meeting on the 7th of June 2015. This picture has made me think about my own self from different angles?

In the picture above a little girl is stretched and bent to fit into a cubicle box. She has fitted herself so well. Almost like a toy made up of some rubber or such other flexible material. In some-ways she also looks proud of her achievements (notice her expressions in her eyes! isn’t she try to convey something?). She appears to me as if saying silently, “I have done it”

Perhaps, (my assumption here) she is a circus artist, and she has trained her body (ever since she managed to walk) to get into such a box like situation. Hence due to the flexibility of the body and training she has been able to do this act.

Now, the title of the page says, “I my position”. Hence it signifies that whatever position I have taken in this world is accurate, perfect and astounding. There is no other truth and reality. My truth is real in the world

Now how interesting is that!

On many occasions in my life I have made blunders, mistakes due to this frame of mind. Ever since I was a child, I feel, I have stayed inside this box. School education made me operate inside a box, college education made me operate inside a bigger box, university education made me operate in a still larger box!

 When I say this, I recall that elders in my family expected me to top my class in my academics (something that I never did!) though I was good at so many other things (games, sports, quiz, debates, extempore creative writing etc,). By the time, I started doing well in academics, I realised I gave up pursuing every other thing. I had to prepare for the job market.  My preparations for the job market, competitive exams killed many of the inner talents that I had as a child. I think this is a classic case with most of you too, when you had to choose between doing “a job” and pursuing something that you love doing. Isn’t it?

My elders operated from inside the box.  I too operated from inside it. How I wish now I had this perspective long back.

 My thoughts, my belief systems, my philosophies, my ideologies (or idiosyncrasies/pagalpanti), my feelings, my world etc. Absolutely, no space for other view point. I have lost precious moments of my life due to this feeling of staying inside this box..

Mind you, this box is self-created. Nobody gives it to you as a birthday present or otherwise. The irony is we create this box around ourselves and seal it so perfect that we become extremely comfortable in it. The world looks beautiful.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sensitivity and life

Why I can't trust myself?